Monday, February 7, 2011

3:05

On Friday evening I saw all my school friends. It was actually better than I thought it would be. To hear their stories, plans and see how they have matured in just 2 months was truly great. It did sort of make me sad, however, to hear all about the orientation and the new people they were meeting. It made me feel like I was missing out on so much by not going into university this year, but it was my choice and next year I will have the excitement and new people. So, it's not all that sad really and my year this year is already better than I had expected it to be. 

On Saturday I spent most of the day with Jo, working as a matter of fact. It is wonderful to have friends that you can have so much fun going on adventures with and also enjoy just sitting quietly doing separate work in the same environment. 

Sunday was the day, race day. It started at 05:20 in the morning which got us at the race venue just before 06:00. Just before the start I saw what I had been dreading to see. A couple on the same bicycle as us, looking all too hardcore for my liking. This wasn't dreaded in the way that one dreads wearing the same dress as another girl in the same room. This was dreaded as it instilled fear and left room for embarrassment. Our bike makes us look like professionals, which we are not. It is a racing bike, nothing about it is subtle and it is admired by everyone who has once sat on the saddle of a bicycle. The bike makes us "Talk the talk" and now because of it we have to ride like we can "Walk the walk." My fear was that we could not. Our goal time was anything close to 4 hours. Although it is a shorter route than the Argus it is harder and 4 hours would not be too shabby. We got on the bike and it felt like we were flying. We flew right past the other Cannondale bicycle and continued to fly. Our final time: 3:05, not too bad for our first race. 

Well, now my bum is sore like it has never been before in my life, but I am still on the high. I still have a huge feeling of achievement. I have realized that when you find something that you love, something that you are good at and something that makes you feel significant because of your skill in it, then you begin to feel more complete. More confident and comfortable in your own skin. Im glad that I have finally found that something.  I hope everyone else does one day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment