Friday, February 4, 2011

...and then I fell in love with my Shimano cycling cleats.

If someone had told me a year ago that in a years time I would be more excited to get a pair of Shimano cycling cleats than Nine West heels, I would have never believed them. Today it is true. It turns out that our tandem is not nearly good enough for us hot shot cyclists. We need the best of the best and that is what we now have. We have a new tandem and not just any tandem, a cannondale tandem. The pressure is now on, its great to be those people on the cheap tandem speeding up the hill. Now we are expected to speed, to be great, to be incredible. Not that I don't believe we are, I just have never been a huge fan of pressure. We are now fully prepared for the Roller Coaster race on Sunday. We have the bike, shoes, helmet, heart-rate monitors, speedometer, even the juice. I'm very nervous about this race, it is the second hardest route next to the Cape Cobra cycling race. If I blog after this you will know that I survived. Lets hope I do. 

My Sunch turned out to be very different from what I expected. I found out that it is difficult to decide on a sunch the day before, people need more notice. It was a Sunch for 3 at first. Lisa, Andrea and myself enjoyed macaroni and cheese from Nigella Lawson's, How to Eat and apple sago pudding was the chosen desert and it went down well. I made way to much food so we ended up taking it elsewhere to a friends digs where cooked food is welcomed with joyful arms. So many hungry people came over and one quick spontaneous moment turned out to be a bigger success than it would have been if it were planned from the start. 

I have met a lot of great people this week and it makes me really excited about the possibilities of this year. It thrills me to see how many great people there are to meet and get to know better. Not all of them will become your best friend forever and ever, but a lot of them will just be friends and in some way you will benefit from having them in your life and they will benefit from your presence in theirs. 

I am starting to get the hang of balancing my time between studying, exercise, friends, family and work. This week I managed to run 3 times, I did my Tuesday morning cycle successfully, went to gym 3 times, Im on my way to yoga in an hour, I have yoga tomorrow at 17:00 and then I'm doing the race on Sunday. I managed work just fine and even squeezed in visits with a few friends.

I started lectures on Thursday. Interpersonal Communication was really great, its a pretty full class with so many different kinds of people of all different ages. I really look forward to learning with these people and learning more about them. We got quite a lot of reading to do, but I am so excited to start learning. I feel like a huge nerd, but I can't help myself. Counselling methods 1 was today. It was not as full as yesterday's class, but the work that we are learning surrounding the different theories of psychology is really interesting and thought provoking. I think I'm really going to enjoy studying here for the year.

I finally feel like this year has actually started and I am so excited about all that lies ahead for me. As for this weekend I'm going to a friends house tonight with a whole bunch of people from school, which I am really looking forward to seeing. I have my first cycling race and so many friends that I hope to see. Lets hope that I not only survive, but that I emerge a better cyclist because of it :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment